History of 

Evangelical Church of God

In the year of 1943, Rev. Irons, having prepared himself for the preaching and teaching ministry, began a mission with his wife and two others – Bro. Reginald Goff and Sis May Henry. The location of the mission was a rented hall at 1167 Boston Road, Bronx, NY. Very soon after, several others were added to the number and there was growth as time went on. In 1948, the church bought a building at 1216 Washington Avenue, Bronx.

 

During that time we became incorporated and added the prefix “Evangelical” to the original name Church of God for the purpose of identification and to express the underlying reason for the mission. We remained at 1216 Washington Avenue when in 1967, we outgrew the facilities. Through providential guidance we purchased the building in which we are now located. The ground at 1216 Washington Avenue has since been dedicated and named the Rev. Lena Irons Unity Park in her honor.

 

During the ensuing years many have made their contributions to the ongoing work of the church and have gone to their eternal rewards. Many have testified to the spiritual guidance and enlightenment they have received through the Ministry of the Evangelical Church of God. To some it was a launching ground into ministries to which they were called. Several others received aid, comfort, counseling and help in various ways at the point of their needs.

 

Rev. Hubert Irons believed in a teaching ministry. He established Eastern Bible Institute which prepared several students for work as ministers and gospel workers. Along with other pioneers, such as the Rev. Benjamin Garrison, Rev. Hattie Downer, Rev. James Cray and Rev. Evans Marshall, Rev. Irons helped to found the Christian Bible Institute, now under the auspices of the General Assembly of the Church of God at Anderson, Indiana. The Church of God congregations in Elizabeth, Patterson and Egg Harbor also benefitted from Rev. Irons' expanding teaching ministry into those New Jersey areas.

 

After twenty-seven years of faithful ministry, Rev. Irons was called home to higher service. His companion, his wife, Lena Irons who had been his assistant throughout the years, continued to carry on the work of the Lord with her children, their families and the faithful till she was called to higher service just over three years ago.

 

Today, we give thanks to God for His numerous blessings in bringing the church thus far these sixty-one years. Amid times of testing, trials and struggles; but also years of work produced by faith; labor prompted by love, and endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ (1 Thessalonians 1:2), we can say to the Glory of God; “thanks be to God who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ” (Cor. 15:57).

 

As we continue our search for a pastor, we trust in God that He will send the “Chosen One” who will continue this great mission of bringing the gospel of Jesus Christ to the lost. We trust in the Holy Spirit to lead us to live out the love of Christ.